Sunday, November 27, 2011

Best Memorable Holiday


Welcome to Augie's Corner

With all the hustle and bustles, Christmas is around the corner, I thought that I would give each one of us a break. How ya like that? We are writing, editing, editing, blogging, editing, blogging and it goes on and on…but I have a question or two for you. What was your most memorable Christmas (even if you do not celebrate) what about most memorable Hanukah, or whatever memorable vacation that you will never forget.
I will start.

I grew up with a mother who raised five girls and one boy. We were far from being middle class, let me say it this way, we were poor, but we never knew we were poor. My mother was that great of a lady who provided all she could, and for some reason we never needed or wanted more.

I was used to the truck that pulled up in front of our house December 20th or the 21st with the name Salvation Army on the sides, and it would be loaded down with toys, oranges, apples (they were the best fruit that I had ever tasted each year), candy, walnuts and other stuff, but this year the truck had not come.
I did not understand, but I knew my mother would not fail us, I suppose I had that blind child faith. I never asked for anything special for Christmas. I did not write letters to Santa Claus (I knew he existed), but I knew more than that Jesus would provide for my family, so I did not need a strange man in a red suit to promise me things that I knew he could not. But, this particular year, there was something that I wanted, but I was afraid to tell anyone.

I knew our mother worked hard, if she knew that I wanted something that she could not provide would break her heart, so I did not ask. When Christmas morning arrived, there were dolls, dishes, games, skates, oranges, apples, nuts and other things, but not what I really wanted, until I noticed a scrunched up Christmas gift that had been forgotten far back under the artificial green tree with its multi-colored strobe light which turned the tree from red, yellow and orange.

I climbed with care under the tree until my small hands could pull the package forward. The paper was crushed, but there was a tag with my name on it, with tears in my eyes and the need to pee; I opened the package as though it was the most precious of all gifts, and it was. There under the crushed paper and Funny Papers was the Bongo Set that I had wanted. I cried and held the gift so tight that my sisters and brother thought that I was crazy, but I did not care. This was exactly what I wanted…let me tell you over four decades later I still possess the same Bongo Set, maybe not as pristine as when I was seven years of age, but the thrill of the moment has never left me.

Tell me your best….Augie   

No comments:

Sunny Frazier's Posse

First Book for Education

www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog

A Few Lines

Black Opal Books Publishers

http://www.blackopalbooks.com

BLACK OPAL BOOKS serves new and established authors. A
small boutique press who are dedicated to producing quality books for readers.
Helping experienced and debut authors to find a home for their stories that
just have to be told. Committed to producing well-written, properly-edited
books and provide an outlet for extraordinary work. This is not a vanity
publishing house, but a group of dedicated editors who want the best for their
readers and authors.


Writer's Digest

  • (www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog)

KingsRiverLife with Sunny Frazier

http://kingsriverlife.com

come over and meet Sunny Frazier

Disqus for Augie's Corner

http://bookproposals.homestead.com/WritingTipWhalin2.jpg

5/16/2012

An excellent book proposal is a key strategy to snag a well-connected literary agent.

________________