The 20 Plots in Writing...where does your story lie?
1. The QuestThe hero searches for something, someone, or somewhere.
2. The AdventureThe protagonist goes on an adventure, much like a quest, but with less of a focus on the end goal or the personal development of the hero.
3. The PursuitThe focus is on chase, with one person chasing another (and perhaps with multiple and alternating chase).
4. The RescueSomebody is captured, who must be released by the hero or heroic party.
5. The EscapeThe reversal of the rescue, a person must escape, perhaps with little help from others.
6. The RevengeA wronged person seeks retribution against the person or organization which has betrayed or otherwise harmed them or loved ones, physically or emotionally.
7. The RiddleEntertains the audience and challenges them to find the solution before the hero
8. The RivalryTwo people or groups are set as competitors
9. The UnderdogSimilar to rivalry, but where one person (usually the hero) has less advantage and might normally be expected to lose.
10. The Temptation
A person is tempted by something that, if taken, would somehow diminish them, often morally.